Sunsets and Suntans.

It’s officially Summertime. There’s always time when we’re on Summertime. It’s like a magical time zone where days are long and nights are cool. Where sunsets are made of cotton candy clouds and violet watercolour skies. Where the grass is green and the flowers greet you with a smile. Where the popsicles are always cold and the the sun is always hot.

The sun wakes up at 5am and doesn’t go to sleep until 11pm. You can stay in bed til noon and still have enough time in the day to get everything done. People mow their lawns at 11pm and go grocery shopping at 7:30am.

Nap in the comfort of the warm sun. Let your ice cream melt. Roll down the windows and let the warm breeze get tangled in your hair. Get a sunglasses tan. Have dinner at 9pm. Track sand into the car. Get dirt under your nails. Who cares? We’re on Summertime!

In the spirit of lazy Summer days I’ve made Cherry Almond White Chocolate Ice Cream. Pink and sweet just like a sunset.

Cherry Almond White Chocolate Ice Cream

Makes about 15 servings.

Source: Adapted from Kitchen Aid’s French Vanilla Ice Cream.

2 cup half and half cream
7 egg yolks
1 cup granulated sugar
2 cup heavy cream
1 vanilla bean
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup bing cherries, pitted and chopped
1 cup cherry puree
3/4 cup white chocolate chunks
1/4 cup almonds, sliced and toasted

In a medium sauce pan heat the half and half cream and whole vanilla bean on medium heat until it’s very hot but not boiling. Take it off the heat and set aside the vanilla bean.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl with an electric mixer beat the egg yolks and sugar on low speed until they’re blended and slightly thick, about 30 seconds. Pour the hot cream gradually into the egg yolk mixture while it’s mixing on low.

Slice open the vanilla bean and scrape out the seeds with the edge of your knife. Stir in the vanilla seeds, whipping cream and salt then refrigerate it for at least 8 hours or overnight.

Once it’s sufficiently chilled mix it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. In the last few minutes of mixing add the cherries, puree, chocolate and almonds.

Serve it however tickles your fancy. Enjoy!

36 thoughts on “Sunsets and Suntans.

1. kita

It’s been hotter than the surface of the sun here (ok, bit of a hyperbole) so I could really really really use some of that ice cream right now!

2. Jan

I am so excited about this recipe! I am a huge fan of Ben & Jerry’s Cherry Garcia, so I cannot wait to try it

3. Janet@fromcupcakestocaviar

*wants ice cream now, wants ice cream now, wants ice cream now* Ya know… for some reason, this post is making me want ice cream

4. Katty's Kitchen

Love your pics–beautiful job! If you take a look, you’ll see great minds think alike this holiday weekend (I made cherry almond gelato). HA HA!

5. Vanessa

Those pictures are amazing! They are making me sooo hungry It’s winter down here in Aus, so I’m imagining them with some yummy hot fudge sauce. Mmm.

6. The Harried Cook

Awesome ice cream recipe! I love it… And that first picture of the cherries – WOW! Incredible picture! Thank you for sharing this

7. Hester aka The Chef Doc

Holy mackerel! I’m in love with all these pictures, especially the first one! Hooray for summertime and ice cream!

8. Emily @ Life on Food

Great photos! Remind me of fun summer magazine shots. They definitely make me want to go out a get some ice cream.

9. Liren

I’m loving the melty ice cream, too! And the flavor. And the cherry nail polish. And the idea of the sun setting at 11 pm. Wow! We say so long to the sun at about 8:30 pm over here, I can’t imagine another 2.5 hours!

10. Sandra's Easy Cooking

Wow what a great presentation, and lovely ice-cream..wonderful!!!

congrats on top 9!!!

11. Brian

This looks like just the thing I need on a day like today. I’m normally not a white chocolate fan but the flavor combo here is fantastic!

12. Alicia

Wow! This looks amazing. I just got some cherries and this is so on my list to indulge them with. Love the post.

13. ChocolateCentral

Looks like you had lots of fun getting creative with your photography. This ice cream flavor sounds and looks just soooo delicious. I think I’ll be dreaming about white chocolate and cherries tonight.