Good Fences Make Good Neighbours.

You know it’s true. Don’t deny it. Ok, yes there is the odd neighbour here and there that’s not so bad. Maybe you make small talk with them across the street or exchange passing comments about the weather. Maybe they made too many peanut butter cookies one afternoon and delivered some extra to you. Maybe they agreed to pick up your mail while you were gone on vacation and even sorted the bills apart from the flyers.

And maybe, just maybe they really suck. I mean rake their leaves onto your lawn kind of suck. Or park in your reserved space kind of suck. Or even keep their irregular garbage piling up in the back alley that no trash collector will ever touch with a ten foot pole kind of suck. Those neighbours are the kind we build fences for.

Really though, is it so hard to dispose of your old broken mattresses at the dump? Is it too much to ask for people not to pour broken pieces of cement directly onto the road where you have no other option than to drive over it hoping all the while that your tires don’t pop? Is it so difficult to refrain from revving your tired and obviously sick Mustang engine for all the neighbourhood to hear right before you peel out of your driveway? That’s not very neighbourly.

Since when did common courtesy stop being so common? It’s so frustrating because I go out of my way not to offend a perfect stranger even going so far as to inconvenience myself. I’m the person at the grocery store that will wait patiently and without complaint while the person ahead of me takes forever to bag their groceries all the while not moving their cart two inches so that I can get through to bag my own. I’m the person grinding her teeth in her backyard while my neighbours laugh and carry on in their yard with their inebriated friends until 6am. I’m the person that would glare through the peephole at my neighbours while they repeatedly slam the outside door that only needs to be pushed and clicked in place.

Some people really need to consider the piece of mind of others more often before they do something that would disrupt just that. It’s selfish. It’s mean. It’s just plain ignorant. Let’s all try and be a little more enlightened, shall we?

And on that note here are some Cheddar Biscuits that could mend fences.

Cheddar Biscuits
Makes 12 biscuits.

Source: My own imagination.

2 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp granulated sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup salted butter, cold and cubed
2 cup medium cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 cup green onion, chopped
1 cup milk
2 tbsp salted butter, melted
1/4 tsp garlic powder

Note: I serve these with spaghetti and other pastas, but they would pair nicely with just about any meal that included either garlic or cheese.

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees and position a rack in the center. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper then set it aside.

In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, cream of tartar, sugar and salt. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or two knives until the mixture resembles course crumbs. Mix in the cheese and green onion. Add half of the milk at first then, after that’s mixed in, add a little bit more milk at a time making sure not to make the dough too wet and sticky since you may or may not need all the milk. The consistency should be that of a soft dough.

Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead it 10 – 12 times until it’s smooth and not crumbly. Divide the dough in half and form each half into a rectangular log 9 inches long. With a sharp knife cut 6 squares out of each log of dough and place them evenly spaced on the prepared baking sheet making sure to leave enough room for them to double in size. Bake them for 10 minutes then, just before they’re done baking, mix the melted butter and garlic powder and brush it on top of each biscuit. Bake them for 1 – 2 minutes more until they’re golden brown. Serve them hot or cooled. Enjoy!

33 thoughts on “Good Fences Make Good Neighbours.

1. Julia

Bad neighbors, lame! The people who have parties and sit outside till 6 am are almost as bad as the people who think locking their dog outside to bark all night is okay. NOT OKAY and so annoying. But really pretty biscuits!

2. joudie's Mood Food

Cant wait to make this. I love eating these types of food. Comforting and delicoius. I like the way you have not wasted any dough by not cutting into circles and leaving in squares…. Will let you know how it goes…

3. wannafoodie

Will you be my neighbour?? I think it could be food-exchange-awesomeness. hahah. These biscuits looks great!

4. ern

Just made these today and they are AWESOME! I’m not a big fan of the baking powder taste so I reduced that to 2 tsp. and they still puffed up fine. I also had to bake them longer, closer to 15 minutes. But they are fluffy beyond belief and I wouldn’t have thought to put the green onion in there but they give it a great flavor. Thanks for sharing!

5. Cookie

I love the idea of the rectangular logs! I’d definitely be a nice neighbor if someone sent me some of these!

6. Shauna from Piece of Cake

Oh, I have neighbor stories, girl. Apartment/city living for 10+ years will do that to you. I also have a deep love of cheddar biscuits–these look terrific! I put bits of jalapeno in mine too, but I like how you’ve cut yours into neat little shapes, mine always look so lazy.

Thanks Shauna! The jalapeno pieces sound like a great idea! It would go nicely with the cheddar cheese for sure. I’ll have to try that next time!

7. Janna M

First I will say “YUM” and next I want to agree with you about common courtesy. It’s definitely not common anymore. I feel like most people are just oblivious to others. I’m like you and wait patiently when other people are in the way while more people push ahead rudely. Some days it is so frustrating but usually I just tell myself we’re all in this together and I don’t everyone else’s story for their rudeness. Good luck with your neighbors. We’ve had some bad ones but they eventually move.

Yes I will just outlast them! I’m glad there are people out there that know a thing or two about manners.

8. Brandelhoffer

We lived in a cul-de-sac in Utah and had 7 neighbors… ALL AWESOME! All friendly!! We cried when we had to move. I don’t think we’ll ever find that again!

9. Anne's Kitchen

Oh dear, don’t get me started about neighbours! Mine have two little kids that just loooove to scream and shout and cry, and since London walls are like paper, it feels like I’m a mum of two little brats! And I’m SO not ready for motherhood!

Did your wonderful biscuits end up mending some fences?

x

10. Kerstin

I love biscuits and your cheddar version sounds just fabulous! Bad neighbors are so annoying – sigh, we have some that always play loud music.

11. kristan roland

Oh…EM….Gee…I wish I was your neighbor!! We could bake together and I could drop in when I was hungry for a yummy cheese biscuit. That would be awesomeness.

12. Steph

I don’t think I could give those biscuits away! They look great. I bookmarking this recipe! Can’t wait to try them.

13. Courtney

I love baking, but I have never had the “touch” and I found this recipe to be fool proof! The biscuits turned out delicious, thank you for sharing! God Bless!

14. Denise

My husband loves chedder cheese so when i saw the reciepe on facebook I showed it to him and he said they look incrediable. going to make them soon. let you know how they turn out. Praise the Lord for He has saved us.

15. Tim

Will be trying these in my restaurant. They look great. As for the neighbors, my wife and I host 2 or 3 cook outs a year on our court (townhouse development). We avoid being the obnoxious neihbors, (for the most) by havingthem on the weekend and by inviting just about everyone we would annoy with any unreasonable noise. Always a good time had by all.