Bumblebees and Blueberries.

The last few days have been wet and dreary. It feels like the rain and chill are interminable and we’ll never see the sun come out from behind the dark clouds.

The air is thick with the fresh earthy scent of fresh rain. If you venture outside even for a moment you return with frizzy rain hair, water droplets decorating it like a halo of mini lights.

The normally cheerful pansies drop their tiny faces to the ground under the weight of a few raindrops. But nothing seems to dampen the spirits of this determined little bumblebee. He buzzes from flower to fragrant flower and seems to inject new life and colour into the otherwise grey world.

I decided I’d pick up where the sweet bumblebee left off and bake up some happiness of my own. There’s nothing like fresh from the oven Blueberry Vanilla Bean Muffins to brighten your morning. The sweet scent of vanilla paired with the bursting flavour of blueberry.

Blueberry Vanilla Bean Muffins

Makes about 18 muffins.

Source: My imagination.

1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 vanilla bean
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup blueberries
Turbinado sugar for sprinkling

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and position a rack in the center. Line a muffin tin with muffin liners.

In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt then set it aside.

In a large bowl with an electric mixer cream together the butter, and sugar until it’s light a fluffy. Split the vanilla bean, scrape out the seeds and incorporate them into the batter. Add the eggs one at a time and beat until each is just blended. Alternate the addition of milk and the dry ingredients in thirds, making sure not to over mix each addition. Finally add the blueberries and mix it lightly.

Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin and fill each nearly to the brim of the liner and then sprinkle each liberally with turbinado sugar. Bake them for 15 – 20 minutes until the tops are a nice golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Transfer them to a cooling rack and enjoy!

27 thoughts on “Bumblebees and Blueberries.

1. Tina@flourtrader

What a lovely treat for breakfast- I was looking for your follow up recipe to the tulip liners. I have saved this recipe to make in the future-yum!. Thanks for sharing

2. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts

I can never get over you pics! I could stare at them all day! These muffins sound delicious!

3. kita

I will trade your dreary rain for our plant slaughtering heat. Even with all the watering I can muster, Im wating my plants wither more and more every day. The one thing I love about my garden is the wonderful selection of bees I get. I feel like its a place they can come and be safe and happy and as I watch it wither I worry for them all. (I’m weird, I know).

I know exactly what you mean Kita! My plants make me so happy and the life and colour it inspires as well.

4. Felice - All That's Left Are The Crumbs

Your photos make me want to reach out and grab one. They looks absolutely delicious and the prefect way to use my vanilla beans.

5. RavieNomNoms

Those look SO yummy! Your pictures are so stunning they make those muffins absolutely irresistible!

Thanks! I love it too. It was so tricky following that little bee from flower to flower with a big camera.

6. Russell at Chasing Delicious

Such gorgeous shots! Especially that bee in the flower. These muffins look incredible too. I absolutely love blueberry muffins and this recipe sounds great. I am definitely adding this to my to-do list.

7. Sasha @ The Procrastobaker

Lindsey your photos are breath taking! And combined with the fact that there just happens to be the most delicious looking little muffins too, this is just a lovely post

8. kankana

This is the cutest blueberry muffins i ever saw .. the presentation with those bright flowers are so cute

9. Kim Beaulieu

These make me wish I could turn my oven on right now. Too hot to bake here. I am losing my mind, these gorgeous beauties are not helping me. Bookmarking for a cool day. These are beautiful!

10. The Cilantropist

Lindsay these photos are beeeeeautiful! I cant get over the bumblebee, sharp as a tack – what did you bribe him with to sit so still for you?

Thanks Amanda! Actually he was a fidgety little thing so I had to be quick. Most of my shots were as fuzzy as his cute belly, but lucky for me he made four passes at my pansies so I had plenty of time to get just the right shot.

11. Jennifer

I just made these and my 2 1/2 year old son, husband and 13 yr old step-daughter ate one as soon as they came out. They were amazing. I will never buy a box mix again! Thank you so much for sharing.