Taste Test.

Have you ever had such a bad head cold that you can’t seem to taste anything?

You’re just so congested your ears are popping every time you swallow. The softest, fluffiest lotion lined tissues still feel like sand paper when you’re blowing your nose every five minutes. And as if that isn’t bad enough you’re favourite batch of cookies taste like dust in your mouth.

Because I’m sick and I need to bake me up some medicine, because I’m afraid I might become permanently anosmic and ageusic, because I’ve spent way too much time feeling sorry for myself and because the kind people at California Walnuts sent me a generous sample of delicious walnuts. What better way to jump start your taste buds than with some of the most potent flavours? Chocolate, caramel and toasty walnuts.

Who needs chicken noodle soup when there’s Walrus Bars?

Walrus Bars

Makes 2 dozen bars.

Source: Adapted from California Walnuts’ Walrus Bars.

1 1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 cup corn starch
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature

1 1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup honey
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 tbsp spiced rum
4 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and rough chopped

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and position a rack in the center. Line a 11 x 17 baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside.

In a large bowl whisk together the flour, corn starch, powdered sugar, cocoa powder and salt. Mix in the butter until you’re left with a crumbly but moist and consistent texture. Firmly and evenly press the dough into the prepared pan and bake it for 30 minutes.

While the shortbread layer is baking combine the butter, brown sugar, honey and salt in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Bring it to a boil and let it simmer for 3 minutes then remove it from the heat. Once the bubbling stops stir in the cream and spiced rum. Finally mix in the walnuts and spread it evenly over the baked shortbread layer.

Turn the oven down to 300 degrees and bake it for an additional 20 minutes. Let it cool for an hour or 2 so the caramel can set. Once cooled cut them into 24 squares and enjoy!

44 thoughts on “Taste Test.

1. Magic of Spice

I am so sorry that you are sick and hope you are well soon. These bars would definitely make me feel better!

2. Sandra @Sandra's Easy Cooking

When you are back you are back..this look fantastic!!!! I love how you made it, I love your photos, recipe, presentation..well I love everything!:)) Thanks for sharing and welcome back!!!

3. Christina

So sorry to hear you’re sick! I hate when I’m so stuffed up that I can’t smell or taste anything! These bars look fabulous!

I’ve been a bit sick all over the weekend and now I’m left with cough and no voice. Zero. Nada. I just can’t talk (hubby very happy of course lol). Do you think these bars could cure me? I bet so!

5. Felice - All That's Left Are The Crumbs

Sorry that you are not feeling well. Didn’t I just read on someone’s blog that walnuts are the healthiest nut? Besides the fact that these look amazing, that seems like a good enough reason to make these.

6. Liren

Oh you poor thing! So many germs flying about – I’ve been dealing with my son…and daughter…now hubby getting sick. Crossing my fingers it doesn’t get me, too. Hope you feel better soon…how could you not with these bars! Wow.

7. Angela@RecipesFromMyMom

Luckily the cold hasn’t hampered your creative baking senses. These could become the cure for the common cold.

8. Kita

Im a total tool because you just blew my mind. I love walnuts in things but how could it have never crossed my mind that there exists such a thing as a walnut bar. There are bars for everything… How’d I miss out on this my whole life. Time to change that! Your pics are amazing as always Can’t wait to try these

9. Vicki @Wilde in the Kitchen

These bars look super delicious, I love love love walnuts. Always keep a big container in the freezer! I hope you feel better soon, being sick is the worst!

10. Jeanne Peterson

All of the previous comments have said, very well, what I would say. Baking while sick. You may have found the key to wellness…doing what makes you and others happy! I love this perspective.

11. Judy

I’m glad you’re feeling better so soon. I haven’t been cooking, eating or posting lately for the same reason. I couldn’t taste a thing for over two weeks I was so sick. It was really weird to have no sense of taste at all.

12. Kimberly(Unrivaledkitch)

looks amazing! I’m glad you’re feeling better and blogging again, i missed your posts.

13. Hot Polka Dot Mom

Your Mommy is now feeling under the weather but your Walrus Bars are the cure. My kind of medicine!

14. Kim- Liv Life

Sure hope you are feeling better! And yep… I’ve been there! My son is just recovering from such a cold and was afraid he would never taste again. We’ll have to keep these on hand for such an emergency!

15. Claudie

I love those bars! The walnuts on top are just so enticing. And I hope you feel better soon! I know how terrible it is when you can’t taste anything because of a cold

16. Christina @ Sweet Pea's Kitchen

I would take these over a bowl of chicken noodle soup any day! I love walnuts. I just might have to make these this weekend!

17. Patsy

I just discovered your blog! Awesome!

I was wondering if there was a good substitution for the spiced rum. Thanks!