Black, Yellow and Sweet All Over.

I spent all afternoon trying to think of something clever to say here. The words did not come. I’m at a loss. I’m forced to resort to distraction.

Look, pretty pictures!

Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies

Makes about 3 dozen cookies.

Source: My imagination.

1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tbsp lemon zest
3 tbsp lemon juice
2 eggs
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup poppy seeds

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and position a rack in the center. Line your baking sheets with parchment paper and set them aside.

In a large bowl with an electric mixer cream together the butter and sugar until it’s light and fluffy. Blend in the lemon zest, juice and eggs. Make sure to scrape off any bits of zest that stick to the mixer paddle.

In a separate bowl whisk together the baking soda, baking powder, salt and flour then mix it into the wet ingredients. Refrigerate the dough for about 15 – 20 minutes to make it stiff enough to roll.

Spread the poppy seeds out in a shallow dish. Scoop a heaping tbsp of dough for each cookie, form them into balls then roll them in the poppy seeds. Place them on the baking sheet and carefully pat them into discs with your fingers. Bake them for about 10 – 12 minutes until the edges brown slightly. Transfer them to a cooling rack and enjoy!

64 thoughts on “Black, Yellow and Sweet All Over.

1. Prerna@IndianSimmer

Oh my gosh, I’m really at loss for words! NOt sure what to admire more, the gorgeous lemony cookies which happens to be my favorite flavor or those breathtaking photos!! Everything abt this post is just beautiful!

Thank you so much Prerna! That really means a lot to me coming from you considering how much I admire your photography.

2. Janna M

These photos are unbelievably AWESOME! My favorite is the first one with the teacup.

You are amazing! The cookies look delicious too.

3. Danielle @ Runs With Spatulas

I love lemon poppyseed muffins, and well, a cookie form just sounds fantastic!

4. Sandra @Sandra's Easy Cooking

Work of art…what an amazing photos, and recipe is fantastic too! Outstanding post!!

5. kita

If it makes you feel better for the lack of words I totally did an ‘ooooh’ ‘aaaah’ and ‘aww a cute heart’ inside of my head when looking at these pics – the only reason from stopping that inner monologue from being outloud is that I’m not the only one in the room and I don’t want people looking at me funny. However, these cookies do look beautiful as always and the recipe sounds killer.

6. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen

Those are very pretty pictures, I especially like the one of the lemons with the beads of water – really beautiful. I’ve never had a lemon poppy seed cookie before, but I love lemon poppy seeds cake and muffins so I’m already sold on the flavor combination.

7. Natalie

You’re styling is amazing! Do you plan it or does it just happen? Like the poppy seed heart, was that planned or spontaneous?

It was actually pretty spontaneous, Natalie. I poured the seeds out and as I was trying to spread them out my finger was leaving shapes in the voids so I thought I’d just go with it.

8. Karla

Your photos are AMAZING! I have been struggling with food styling—how did you learn it? Does it come natural? What is your photography equipment (do you use professional lights etc?)

Any advice would be much appreciated! Love it!

Thanks Karla! My food styling sort of comes naturally to me. I decide on some props and I always like to pair the finished product with some of the main ingredients used to make it. I wasn’t always so great at it and I used to go for a more simplistic approach to photography. I use natural light diffused with a semi-transparent white sheet. The backdrop I use is a simple piece of bristol board propped up with a cookbook. All done in my kitchen on the top my deep freezer. Hope that helps.

1. Heather McMullin

I would have to agree!! Your photos are amazing. I am currently trying to up my game in that department. Lighting is a tricky thing to learn. Keep up the good work. You are one of my new favorites!

9. Vicki @Wilde in the Kitchen

I am thoroughly distracted by your pictures and tasty looking cookies. Love the colors!

10. Our Eyes Eat First

beautiful pictures and amazing combo of lemon and poppyseeds – “black and yellow, black and yellow”!!

11. A Canadian Foodie

Stunning Lindsey!!!

I’d love to get a hold of you – there is a local event I want to talk to you about and your contact by e-mail isn’t working – the address is just hotpolkadot.com

Please email me!

Valerie

12. Steph@stephsbitebybite

These are so gorgeous! (I have the Black and yellow song in my head now) I can only imagine how these bad boys taste!!

13. sarah

I just made lemon poppy seed cookies last week, great minds think alike I guess. Looking forward to try your recipe next!

14. kelly

I’ve been mulling over lemon and poppyseed for a couple of weeks now, but not like this. These cookies are incredible. Definitely pretty photos as well

15. Evan@swEEts

You certainly have a way with your photography. Absolutely beautiful photos and delicious looking cookies!

16. Emily

Oh my goodness! Your pictures are gorgeous and are making my mouth water! I want some of these right now! Beautiful job!

17. The Kitchen Noob

Your outstanding photography inspires me to take as much pride in the photography end of food blogging as I have in the preparation of the food I’m photographing.

18. Kimberly :)

Here’s my strange reaction to these fabulous pictures: Is it just me or do the sunny little lemons make the dark cookies seems somehow sinister? I think polka dots make every good girl/bad boy relationship work.

19. Claudie

Wow! Those really are some pretty pictures! And it’s the first time I see such cookies — really nice idea!

20. Baking Serendipity

Pretty pictures, awesome cookies and seriously where can I get one of those polka dot dish towels?! I love polka dots and bright colors…it’s adorable!

21. Kulsum at JourneyKitchen

This are the prettiest looking cookies I have seen in some time. I love the first picture.Wait I LOVE it. And flavor combination is one of my favorite.Too bad I have no poppy seeds in my life as they are illegal here

22. Kerstin

What unique cookies – I’d love to try them! And writer’s block is the worst, your pictures definitely told the story though

23. Amy

Wow, those look interesting. Lemon Poppyseed muffins are great so why not cookies? I love the little “pop” in your mouth the poppyseeds give it (see what I did there? LOL). Sort of reminds me of when you eat a piece of sushi and the little “pop” of the roe. Yum!

24. Amy @DYKTMP?

Get outta town with these photos! You are one talented lady! Saw the blog through my bloggie friend @naked_cup_cakes. Loving it!

25. susan merritt

this will be my first lemon poppy recipe,i have been looking at other sites..what got me about yours were the photos and the simplicity of the dough..i probably wont use 1/2 c of the poppy seeds though as they are pricey:-) i make cookies alot and give them away as thank-you’s to my friends.