Sweetheart.

I thought that on this most auspicious day I would share with you mine and Lee’s favourite poem. Sometimes no matter how hard you try to express your feelings someone has already beaten you to the punch.

A Rhyme of the Dream-Maker Man

Down near the end of a wandering lane,
That runs ’round the cares of a day,
Where Conscience and Memory meet and explain,
… Their quaint little quarrels away.
A misty air-castle sits back in the dusk
Where brownies and hobgoblins dwell
And this is the home
Of a busy old gnome
Who is making up dream-things to sell,
My dear,
The daintiest dreams to sell.

He makes golden dreams of wicked men’s sighs.
He weaves on the thread of a hope
The airiest fancies of pretty brown eyes,
And patterns his work with a trope.
The breath of a rose and the blush of a wish
Boiled down to the ghost of a bliss,
He wraps in a smile
Every once in a while,
And calls it the dream of a kiss,
Dear heart,
The dream of an unborn kiss.

Last night when I walked thro’ the portals of sleep
And came to the weird little den,
I looked in the place where the elf-man should keep
A dream that I buy now and then.
‘Tis only the sweet happy dream of a day–
Yet one that I wish may come true–
But I learned from the elf
That you’d been there yourself
And he’d given my dear dream to you,
Sweetheart,
He’d given our dream to you.

-William Allen White

1/4 cup corn syrup

2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup Corn Flakes, crushed slightly
French bread, thickly sliced into 6 pieces

Heat a large skillet on medium high heat.

In a large bowl combine the softened cream cheese, chopped banana and chopped strawberries. Fit a large pastry bag with a large round tip big enough for the chunks of fruit to fit easily through. Scoop the filling into the pastry bag and set it aside.

Place the chopped chocolate in a heat proof bowl. In a small sauce pan combine the cream, sugar and corn syrup then bring it to a boil over medium heat. Once it reaches a boil pour it over the chocolate, let it sit for a few minutes then whisk it until it’s smooth.

In a shallow bowl whisk together the eggs, milk and cinnamon. In another shallow bowl spread out the crushed Corn Flakes. With a sharp knife make a slice in the crust side of the bread almost to the other side. This makes a nice little pocket for your filling. Carefully pipe in the cream cheese filling, but not so much that it spills out the hole or makes a tear in the bread. Coat the bread in the egg mixture then press both sides into the Corn Flakes.

Melt a little butter in the skillet then fry each slice for about 5 minutes turning halfway through to ensure that the French Toast is both cooked and crispy. Serve with the still warm Chocolate Sauce. Enjoy!

46 thoughts on “Sweetheart.

1. veggietestkitchen

oh yum! this looks fanastic. the pictures are wonderful and i’m sure it tastes amazing. how could you go wrong with that chocolate! cheers.

Thank you so much! I never really considered myself a photography expert, but I’m definitely going to start putting that post together.

2. Sandra

Your photos making me hungry for something sweet right now!!!:) Looks amazing! and Rhyme is a nice touch! Happy Valentine’s Day!

3. Kate @ Diethood.com

Amazing poetry, incredible food, and your photos are always fantabulous! You do such a wonderful job with showcasing your yumminess.

4. Evan@swEEts

I’ve never tried to make my own stuffed french toast, but your amazing pictures makes me want to dive right in and do it for dinner!

5. Damaris @Kitchen Corners

Beautiful poem and beautiful french toast and I don’t even like french toast so you know I’m not messing around.

6. kristin

Holy man. That’s one serious piece of french toast. I had to really examine the instructions to figure out how you created such a monster! Gah, it looks so delicious, though. I’ve seen people coating french toast with corn flakes before and thought it was such a clever idea. Did it work as planned? Nice an’ crispy?

It was totally crispy! I love french toast but it always get’s soggy after 30 seconds off the skillet. The Corn Flakes make a beautifully crispy crust. I love my green strainer!

7. Amanda

I seriously want to eat the screen. That looks so amazingly yummy and decadent. I love your blog and your photos are amazing!!

8. Cristina - Teenie Cakes

Lindsey: I luv what you did with the strawberries in heart-shape. This has to be the most beautiful French toast I’ve ever seen. Delicious! Congrats on the Top 9 today!

9. Danielle@Runs With Spatulas

Your pics look absolutely amazing! I love the strawberry/banana combo stuffed in French toast, especially with a chocolate drizzle on top. Oh my!

10. A Canadian Foodie

TOO TOO pretty, really! Just gorgeous and lovely and a pleasure to open and experience! Please upload foodburner (or subscribe 2 if you are with wordpress – and it looks like you are)

Valerie

11. Terry

Your pictures are crazy amazing! I can’t believe you say that you don’t consider yourself a photography expert because your photos say otherwise. That picture of the rose? I can see the veins in the rose PETALS for goodness sakes…most people take flat photos and you can’t even see the veins in the leaves much less the flower. you have an eye for color and placement. Great job!

1. Terry

You’re welcome. Don’t ever deny your photography skills because you have got what it takes! I’m sorry I didn’t see this until today, Gmail delivered it to my Spam folder…it’s a good thing that I browse there occasionally as I just did. Keep up the great work!