Oh My Darlin’ Clementine.

I present to you the magnificent clementine. So sweet and adorable it fits in the palm of your hand. They appear tiny, innocent and unassuming but the scent and taste that explodes out of this fruit is a welcome surprise.

Everyone has a particular way of eating one. A routine. A ritual.

The glossy orange skin gives way when you pierce your fingernail through to the golden fruit hidden beneath. A fine mist of juice laces the air and fills your senses with the delicate orange fragrance. The skin is pulled back and discarded in one continuous spiral to reveal tiny sleeping segments huddled tightly together. Tenderly peel off the bits of pith clinging stubbornly to the fruit and separate the segments one by one to devour them in sequence.

I look forward to clementines every Winter. Our local grocery store has been unlucky enough to be devoid of any edible batch of mandarins or clementines all season. They’ve all been either unripe or overripe. Except now of course. Sweet relief indeed!

To celebrate I thought I’d make some cookies. White Chocolate Clementine Cookies.

Now please excuse me while I continue my love affair with this cute little orange.

White Chocolate Clementine Cookies

Makes about 3 dozen cookies.

Source: My imagination.

1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tbsp clementine zest
2 tbsp clementine juice
2 eggs
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 1/2 cup flour
2 cup white chocolate chunks

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and position a rack in the center. Line your baking sheets with parchment paper and set them aside.

In a large bowl with an electric mixer cream together the butter and sugar until it’s light and fluffy. Blend in the clementine zest, juice and eggs. Make sure to scrape off any bits of zest that stick to the mixer paddle.

In a separate bowl whisk together the baking soda, baking powder, salt and flour then mix it into the wet ingredients. Finally fold in the white chocolate chunks until you have a stiff uniform dough.

Scoop a heaping tbsp of dough for each cookie, form them into rounds and pat them down slightly with your fingers. Bake them for about 10 minutes until the edges brown slightly. Transfer them to a cooling rack and enjoy!

40 thoughts on “Oh My Darlin’ Clementine.

Our kitchen is filled with clementines! I think they are our favorite fruit of all. I have been looking around for some recipes using clementines and I could not find anything interesting. White chocolate clementine cookies is just the most brilliant and yummy idea I’ve seen around lately! Thanks for sharing. I’m sure we will be in love with these!

2. Belinda @zomppa

I eat cases and cases of clementines. I love these cookies – they would totally satisfy my sweet tooth. Send some over, please!

3. Amy at TheSceneFromMe

Gracious girl, you really know how to style food and take a picture! I love your perfect pictures!

The white chocolate clementine cookies sound wonderful!

Have you ever made anything with blood oranges? Just had some blood orange slices at a restaurant last night.

Thanks Amy! I’ve seen blood oranges in the produce section lately and they’re really making me think. I foresee a blood orange recipe in the near future.

4. Prerna@IndianSimmer

Wow, Clementines are something that I’ve been eating to death this season and still can’t get enough of it! These cookies sound just perfect to add some more clementines to my diet

5. Lyndsey

I’ve been looking for something to make to give my Chinese friend for Chinese New Year this week (he always gets us little gifts and I’d like to return the favor). So far the baked goods I have looked at had too many scarce of expensive ingredients to get me motivated. But these might work since they include the orange color for luck while still being Americanized enough that I have all the ingredients on hand! Thanks!

6. Sexy Vegan Mama/The Gonzo Mama

Your photos are always so fabulous. You truly have a gift for innovative placement. I’m so jealous!

7. Kimberly

These look absolutely yummy!! I was admiring the clementines in the produce section this evening and wondering what to create with them and I hadn’t thought about making clementine cookies…hmm, looks like I’m headed back to the grocery store tomorrow so I can make these delish cookies.

8. melissa @IWasBornToCook

Clementines are definitely “the” wintertime fruit in our house…my daughter and my husband both go nuts over them. These cookies are such a great idea…I’ll have to try them soon!

9. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen

White chocolate and clementines sound like a lovely pairing. I like that playful shot of the clementine with the peel swirling around the cookies.

10. Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels

What gorgeous cookies. I love how you paired the flavor of the clementines with the white chocolate. They sound incredible!