Love Muffin: Maple Bacon Cheddar Cornmeal.

There’s about two feet of snow carpeting the ground. Icicles decorate the eaves troughs. The evergreens slouch under the new weight. The streets haven’t been plowed all Winter. A single Autumn leaf clings stubbornly to the frozen ground. The temperature has plummeted to uncomfortable depths.

There’s only one thing to do when the weather turns this chilly. Make Chili! The natural partner for a steaming hot bowl of Chili is, of course, Cornmeal Muffins. These aren’t your average Cornmeal Muffins, folks. They’re Maple Bacon Cheddar Cornmeal Muffins.

A little sweet to compliment the spice. A little hot inside to contrast the cold outside.

How else are you going to work up the nerve to shovel the driveway? Or scrape ice off the windshield? Or risk frostbite to check the mailbox? I suppose you could always just stay toasty warm inside and eat muffins for dinner. Like I did.

Maple Bacon Cheddar Cornmeal Muffins

Makes about a dozen muffins.

Source: Adapted from my family recipe.

1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 egg
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
8 – 10 strips of bacon, cooked and chopped
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup cornmeal

2 tbsp pure maple syrup for topping

Note: These muffins are best enjoyed buttered and paired with a delicious chili, but they’re also great on their own.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and position a rack in the center. Lightly grease a muffin tin with non stick cooking spray or a light coating of oil then set it aside.

In a large bowl combine the melted butter, egg, milk and maple syrup. Lightly toss it with the shredded cheddar and chopped bacon.

In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and cornmeal. Add the dry ingredients to the first bowl and gently fold it together with a spatula. Make sure not to over mix the batter and just stop when it’s moist and all the bits appear evenly incorporated.

Divide the batter between the 12 cups of the prepared muffin tin. Bake them for 15 – 20 minutes until they turn golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Turn them out onto a cooling rack and, while they’re still warm, brush the tops with the reserved maple syrup. Enjoy!

32 thoughts on “Love Muffin: Maple Bacon Cheddar Cornmeal.

1. The Cuisinerd

I love the photos for this post, beautiful color and composition! Everything makes me miss my childhood mid-west winters!! Keep warm!

2. Stephanie @ okie dokie artichokie

Yum. They look so petite and moist and delicious. Kind of reminds me of a maple-bacon doughnut I had once…sort of. :-p

3. The Blue-Eyed Bakers

We would have killed to have some of these around last night for our stew. They look AMAZING. How can you go wrong with cheese & bacon! Gorgeous!

4. Vicki @Wilde in the Kitchen

I love corn muffins with my chili, how did you know! We’re dealing with ice right now, so this sounds like the perfect addition to my weekend soup plan. Thanks!

5. Evan Thomas

These are a delicious idea. I used to prefer savory toaster strudels to sweet pop tarts. I think if I were looking for a muffin in the morning bacon and cheddar would sound much better than something sweet.

6. Steph@stephsbitebybite

I wish we had snow here! I want to be bundled up in my house with snow coming down And being able to eat one of your muffins!! These sound so good! I am loving the idea of maple syrup in them!

7. UrMomCooks

Absolutely awesome! Must make a bowl of something steamy hot to serve these with… Or maybe an awesome late-nite snack!!! looks delicious!

8. Heather

Happiness is realizing you have all the stuff in the pantry to make this. Really wonderful, warming recipe! Can’t wait to try it out! Loving that last photo especially…

9. Baking Serendipity

Muffins and chili sounds like a fantastic winter dinner I love all your photographs, especially of all that snow!

10. The Farmers Wife

I never would have thought of that combo, but it sounds delicious! May have to make these next week with my chili! Yum!

11. Cortney

So it’s been a while since this was commented on. I forget how, but I saved this recipe probably over a year ago and just now pulled it out for Thanksgiving. I loved it and so did everyone else! Yay! We only had a small muffin pan to work with, but 15 minutes baking time was just enough.

12. andifoo

I’m working on a menu to stock my freezer for fall/winter. A large batch of chili is of course on the list and these would be an amazing accompaniment. Do you happen to know of they freeze and reheat well? Thanks!

Hi there! I’ve honestly never tried freezing these muffins before, but it’s worth a try. Let me know how it goes!