Reservations About Resolutions.

New year’s resolutions. We all make them, but do we ever actually adhere to them? Things like lose ten pounds or volunteer in the community seem to get pushed aside to make room for more interesting goals like dig for the bottom of that jar of Nutella or sit through that Star Trek marathon.

Maybe it’s time for some more realistic resolutions. Here are a few of my highlights.

Resolution #115: Redecorate my kitchen because it’s time the love was reciprocated.

Resolution #223: Bake my own bread instead of buying sliced loaves like a sucker.

Resolution #52: Get a haircut. You hippie.

Resolution #175: Actually finish writing the first chapter of my book. It’s time to stop procrastinating.

Resolution #333: Finally attempt macarons. They’re cookies, not the boogeyman.

Resolution #24: Master the extreme difficulty on Tap Tap Revenge because repeated rhythmic tapping is an important life skill.

Resolution #32: Cultivate an intimate relationship with my new macro lens. We make such a cute couple.

Resolution #517: Try more interesting flavour combinations because you just know that peanut butter and jelly was an accident.

That’s where these cookies come in. Double Chocolate Cinnamon Cookies. They’re filled with deep dark chocolate flavour that’s intensified by the the exotic taste of fresh ground cinnamon. Not your average combination, but one I am so glad I tried. Sometimes you have to try something a little wacky to to discover new favourites. This one is definitely one of mine now. Maybe it could be one of yours too.

Double Chocolate Cinnamon Cookies

Makes about 3 dozen cookies.

Source: My imagination.

1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup demerara sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon (I used fresh ground)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 cup semisweet chocolate chunks (I used Belgian)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and position a rack in the center. Line your baking sheets with parchment paper and set them aside.

In a large bowl with an electric mixer cream together the butter and sugars. Lightly blend in the eggs next.

In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt then combine it well into the wet ingredients. Fold in the chocolate with a spatula.

Scoop a heaping tbsp of dough for each cookie and pat it down lightly with your fingers. Bake them for about 10 minutes then transfer them to a cooling rack. Enjoy!

41 thoughts on “Reservations About Resolutions.

1. Heather

Love the flavor combo, and your pics are great! I wish you could show me how to make/bake bread. I’d show you how to make macs in return…

2. Felice - All That's Left Are The Crumbs

Your photos are beautiful. They make me want to reach out and grab a cookie.

3. Stephanie

Great resolutions! Macarons scared me at first too, but just try them – you are right, they are just cookies! I love your beautiful pictures and the flavor combo of these cookies, they’re 2 of my favorites (my rabbit is even named Cinnamon). Happy New Year!

I love your resolutions! Please try the macarons. I’m sure you will do a better job than I did and I’m sure that together with the last resolution you will find plenty of wonderful flavor combos

5. Kocinera

These cookies look so yummy! I love cinnamon and chocolate, so these will definitely have to pay a visit to my kitchen.

6. penny aka jeroxie

I don’t do resolutions anymore…. if I want to do something, I will just do it… easier to keep up

7. Mom

Another wickedly witty post and cinfully decadent cookies. Your pictures absolutely pop with your new macro lens. That little gooey bit of melted chocolate is just drooley. Fabulous photo composition. Gotta love those polka dots ;D Hot, hot hot!

8. Amy Bakes Everything

Gorgeous! I, too, have a macaron phobia…I’ve got cannoli, macarons, and souffle on my To-Do list for 2011. We can all work through it together, right? Great recipe!

9. fooddreamer

Cinnamon and chocolate are a wonderful combination, I’ve been adding cinnamon to my hot chocolate almost daily! I love the macaron comment, I suppose it’s true, they are not bogeymen. They are a little scary, though!

10. Scarletta @ Scarletta Bakes

I, too, have reservations about resolutions. But just like the unignorable pull to watch a trainwreck or read the entire tabloid rack at the grocery store, I can never seem to stop myself from making them.

11. Amelia from Z Tasty Life

Lindsey: adorable…as always!!! those resolutions made me smile and giggle and associate!!!

Happy new year… and so glad you made these cookies. Cinnamon and chocolate make such a cute couple, just like you and your macro lens!

12. Isabelle

Chocolate and cinnamon is an amazing combo, and I love that you’ve doubled up on the chocolate here. My inner chili-head thinks that cayenne would probably go quite nicely in there, too.

PS – I’m totally with you on 223, 52 and 333. Especially the haircut one… it’s been a year and a half since my last one. (Thank god for curly hair that disguises uneven length and split ends!)

13. Amy (Sing For Your Supper)

Beautiful photos, Lindsey! Looks like you’ve already got the hang of that new macro lens!!

14. Sandra

Love the lip of chocolate hanging from the cookie and absolutely love the pink and brown colors. My daugthers make a chocolate chip oatmeal cookie with cinnamon. Initially I didn’t think it would work, but alas it did. Mother was wrong about that one, but that’ll be our little secret.

15. marie

My goodness I am so glad that I stumbled on this recipe. These

Cookies are amazinggg! I’ve been looking for another good cookie recipe for

A while. Thank you!

16. sippitysup

I’d say from the looks of these cookies you and you macro lens are getting on swell! Now about that haircut… GREG

Actually every recipe I say calls for brown sugar I use demerara. It’s delicious! So yummy with spice or chocolate. You can find lots of recipes on here to use it in.

17. Liren

Hi Lindsey! I used to be resolution-phobic, but this year, it’s different. I am resolving to make some resolutions And I love yours!