It’s Not You, It’s Me.

Dear Exercise Bike,

I haven’t been avoiding you. No really. I might use you as a coat rack from time to time. I might even have let your seat collect dust. It’s a really uncomfortable seat by the way. You should look into that.

I know. I know. I told you I was going to ride you everyday. I promised you. I promised me. So I’m not the most motivated person in the world. You knew that getting into this relationship.

Don’t look at me like that. I’ve been busy, ok? Those four seasons of Mad Men aren’t going to watch themselves. Cookies need baking. Dough needs kneading. Hair needs washing. You know how it is.

Maybe we need to take a break. We obviously want different things. You’re a fitness enthusiast. I’m a sucker for cinnamon buns. You like action films. I like chick flicks. You like to wake up with the sun. I roll out of bed around ten.

It’s not you, it’s me. We just need some time apart. I think it’ll be good for us.

Tell you what, after the holidays if you’re still into me we’ll give this another shot. In the meantime just focus on yourself. I’ll eat these Sesame Cookies with half a pound of butter and you can fix that seat of yours.

Take care.

Your friend,

Lindsey

Sesame Cookies

Makes about 3 dozen cookies.

Source: My imagination

1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup honey
1 egg
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sesame seeds

In a large bowl with an electric mixer cream together the butter, sugars and honey. Mix in the egg until it’s just blended.

In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt then add that to the wet ingredients. Mix it together until it’s well incorporated then refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes to stiffen.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and position a rack in the center. Line your baking sheets with parchment paper then set them aside.

Spread the sesame seeds out into a shallow dish. Form the cookie dough into 1 inch balls then roll each in the sesame seeds until they’re covered. Flatten them slightly with your fingers and bake them for about 10 – 11 minutes until they’re golden brown. Transfer them to a cooling rack and enjoy!

55 thoughts on “It’s Not You, It’s Me.

1. Kim

Haha. You are just too cute. Exercise and I have a love/hate relationship. I mean, I like to feel good and all but sometimes I am simply unmotivated or lazy or both. And when you have delicious treats beckoning you? Wow. All bets are off. And sesame cookies? Never heard of them but they look fantastic.

2. Vicki @Wilde in the Kitchen

Ha hhaaa, love it I try to get to the gym right after work, before the delicious foods beckon! It also helps that I teach the group x classes and would be in trouble if I didn’t show up

3. Shonneky

Ha Ha Ha! I think I’ll go home and have the exact same conversation with my treadmill! Thanks for writing a wonderful blog, giving me a wonderful laugh and creating such wonderful recipes.

4. kristin

Holy shit! ha! Sorry! Those are such nice pictures! I’m so jealous! Maybe I’ll just come over to your house and you can teach me, how about that? Screw Whyte ave!

Haha! Thanks lady! And that’s not a bad idea at all. And it saves us a couple hundred bucks too. I could even sweeten the deal with a free subscription to Photoshop. It makes all the difference in the world.

1. kristin

Andreas has photoshop on his work computer, but he doesn’t know how to use it because it’s not part of his every day job. So we had a good laugh last night trying to figure it out with some of my pictures. It did not go very well. Consider the deal sweetened.

Yeah it’s kind of hard to get the hang of, but I took a few classes on it at university so I’m pretty good with it. Anything I can’t figure out I just google. There are some pretty good tutorials online.

5. Evan@swEEts

I like it.. I’ve had that conversation a time or two with my running shoes But unfortunately my running shoes somehow always get the best of me! I think its the guilt.. ha don’t get me wrong.. I eat plenty of butter and lots of frosting! I could definitely eat a pound of these cookies as well!

6. Joy

I love this story. This is my relationship with all excersizing. I totally agree with you and I love the cookie recipe.

Motivation is definitely lacking on this side too. I mean, motivation to use my gym membership card…not to eat cookies. Maybe you can offer a cookie to your bike and see if you can convince her/it/him (??) that your priorities are better set!

8. Chef Dennis

Be still my heart!!! I love sesame cookies…..sigh…..I would devour platefuls of those delicious cookies!

don’t you burn calories by chewing?

Dennis

9. Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels

Haha I love your letter, so hilarious!The most exercise I do is lifting a cookie to my mouth. These cookies look delicious and gorgeous. I have been loving your new photos! Mmmm I love sesame seeds, your cookies are calling my name.

10. Lynn @ I'll Have What She's Having

I’m in a love hate relationship with my gym. It loves me because I keep paying but never go, and I hate it because it’s a gym.

Can I have a cookie?

11. kristin

too funny!!! what’s not funny is… how blogging completely takes the place of working out (aaaand housework, errands, and anything else that seems menial). let’s just blame it all on the blogging.

12. Lora

Hilarious! I feel the same way toward my NYC Ballet Workout video. It’s covered in dust while I am covered in flour.

13. the constant hunger

Great letter. I think everyone feels that way about exercising. It’s just not fun. Maybe you can watch Food Network while biking. Anyways, great recipe. Any cookie recipe that doesn’t include chocolate chips is one I want to try.

14. Isabelle

Are you psychic or something? I was literally having a conversation with a coworker just 10 minutes ago about how my exercise bike spends more time as a coat stand than it does as an actual piece of exercise equipment.

15. Kim - Liv Life

LOL! Lindsey, that was hysterical! I think we can all relate. I’m actually giving myself some time away from my gym… like you, we had just gotten to close. Maybe absence makes the heart grow fonder??

Love the post and the cookies too!!

16. Janna M

Great post Lindsey!

I love almost anything with sesame seeds. I can’t wait to make these. Sesame seeds are really healthy so that’s one thing.

17. Joan Nova

I just had a similar conversation in my head about exercise…it’s too cold out, I’m too busy…with the inevitable conclusion “January”.

18. Mariko

Ahhhhh! I love this post. I’m going to sit down and write a break up letter to salad.

Unless salad promises to wear more bacon.

19. Lisa

I made these cookies today and the dough I think was a little drier than yours since the cookies cracked a little. Granted I was not very careful with measuring out the butter! Lovely taste. Thanks for a nice recipe

20. BASMA

I made these cookies it was e have similar to this cookies delicious .We have similar to this cookies called Baraziq but you need to add a full teaspoon of cardamom powder and another shallow dish filled with slice of pistachio to roll the cookie firt with it then with pistachio .

thank you lLINDSEY for your recipes .