The Hokey Pokey and Other Fine Hobbies.

Let’s face it. We’re busy people. We have people to see and places to be. Like walking the cat, erecting impenetrable snow fortresses, whittling sporks, colour coordinating the dishes, alphabetizing the condiments and knitting scarves. Putting your right foot in, putting your right foot out, putting your right foot in and shaking it all about.

I’ll give you a moment to ponder which ones of those I’ve actually done.

I’ll give you a hint. It starts with an all and ends with of the above.

So in our silly days filled with silly things it’s nice to know there are easy, fast and delicious dinners we can whip up between moon walking and kite flying.

It’s astonishing how some of the best foods are also the simplest. Next to chocolate covered cherries and self cleaning ovens it’s about the best thing ever.

I recently discovered a few pasta recipes that were both stupid easy and scrumptious. Spaghetti alla Carbonara is just spaghetti, pancetta, parmesan cheese and eggs. Or Spaghetti Cacio e Pepe which is basically spaghetti, romano cheese and black pepper.

Here’s another for you. Brown Butter Walnut Pasta. Mostly just farfalle, walnuts, parmesan, garlic and cream. Takes up only 15 minutes of your time not including all of three seconds it takes to inhale it.

Now that cat’s not going to walk itself.

Brown Butter Walnut Pasta

Makes 4 – 5 servings.

Source: My imagination.

5 cups farfalle (bow tie) pasta
1 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup parmesan, grated
Pepper to taste
2 tbsp salted butter
2 tbsp flour
1 1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped

Note: I usually pair this pasta with simple garlic bread, but it would also go nicely with a light walnut salad.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the pasta until it’s al dente.

In a food processor combine the walnuts, garlic, parmesan and pepper then reduce it to a medium fine ground.

Meanwhile melt the butter in a small sauce pan on medium heat. Stir it frequently until it turns amber brown and the foam subsides. And the flour and whisk it in until there are no more lumps. Next add the walnut mixture and combine it well. Pour in the cream and stir it until it thickens into a sauce.

Once the pasta is cooked al dente add it to the sauce and cook it for another minute or so. Scoop out your handsome servings then sprinkle the chopped parsley on top. Enjoy!

33 thoughts on “The Hokey Pokey and Other Fine Hobbies.

Boy I still have to learn to master the whole browned butter thing! Great pasta recipe! Love it! I am very busy during the week and my husband sure will love it. Uh oh and I love the new big size of pics! Great job!

2. Lynn @ I'll Have What She's Having

This sounds awesome. I love simple pasta dishes that can be thrown together any night.

BTW, I’m pretty impressed that you can whittle.

1. kristin

Me too. I’ve downloaded the manual for my camera so I’ve been playing around with it lately. And there’s a lot of tutorials online. But I’m also brainstorming photo composition ideas right now, so I eventually want to set up a permanent area to do all photography and I might as well just wait till we move.

3. Jara

Beautiful photos and such a simple recipe. I’ve yet to make a browned butter sauce but I suspect I shall try it in the near future!

4. kristin @ delishliving

this looks great! i love pasta and i love it even more when it only take 15 minutes of my time on a busy weeknight. loving the new look to your pictures! do you still get daylight? i’m not home til after 5 pm every night and i’m dreading 6 months of my ISO at 1600, etc etc.!!!! sigh.

Yeah I had to bump up my ISO. I hate the endless clouds and low light. I’m trying to get to know my camera a little better so me and the winter light can be friends.

5. Isabelle

Love it! I’m a huge fan of super-fast, super-easy, super-yummy pasta dishes. My favourite is spaghetti tossed with olive oil, crispy bacon, lots of garlic, hot pepper flakes and toasted pine nuts, but this recipe sounds like it might be a close contender as my new favourite.

6. Amanda L.

So simple and yet so delicious. Definitely putting this on my list of recipes to try! And I agree, the photos look fabulous! Are you sure you taught yourself?

Thanks Amanda! I picked up a few tips and tricks from my dad who’s a pretty experienced photographer, but most I had to learn on my own since he’s across the country.

7. Baking Serendipity

I love simple pasta dishes on busy (or even not so busy) days. This one looks delicious and full of flavor…a definite win. Thanks for sharing!

8. Jackie

Mhmmm, so delicious! I’m a big fan of cacio e pepe and carbonara, I’m going to add this one to the list of delicious, quick & easy pasta dishes, too!

9. sippitysup

We call this style of cooking pasta “default pasta” around my house. It’s always a fav no matter what the ingredients. GREG

10. Tonia

I tried this recipe and loved the flavor and loved how easy it was to make! The only bummer…after eating only half our plate, my husband and I both looked at each other and said “my mouth hurts” in unison. What the heck? It seems the acidity in the walnuts were too much for us. Neither of us are allergic to nuts, we eat trail-mix allllll the time as a snack, so we were both shocked to have this kind of reaction. The pain went away in an hour or so, but unfortunately we had to stop eating before we were really full. I’m curious if anyone else has had this reaction or not.

11. Grishma

Just made it tonight..and we loved it. I added some red pepper flakes and rather than grounding all walnuts/garlic together I had it half grounded and half chopped… LOVED the texture. And hey I also used Garlic parsley salt to flavor it up thanks for the recipe. Keep going

12. Kacy

I cooked this for the 2nd time last night, and it is a great recipe. I just got to thinking about it, and I realized that I forgot to add the Parmesan last night. So I came back to review the recipe, but I can’t find where it says in the recipe to add the cheese. Is it just a sprinkle on top, or am I completely missing it?!

You’re so right! I forgot to add the parmesan in the directions. You’re supposed to add it in the food processor with the walnuts. Thanks for pointing that out! So glad you liked it Kacy.