Warming Up To Winter.

On a cold Winter’s day such as this one what’s better than warming your kitchen and your heart with soft, chewy fresh from the oven Oatmeal Cookies? And not just any Oatmeal Cookies. Maple Cinnamon Oatmeal Cookies!

It’s been particularly chilly here in Edmonton, which normally wouldn’t come as a surprise at this time of year and in this part of the country. I guess I was enjoying Autumn so much I didn’t realize Winter was already upon us.

I miss all the pretty colours. I miss walking out the door in just jeans and a sweater. I miss the sun. I even miss the rain.

Despite all this, each time the seasons change I decide on a new favourite season. It doesn’t matter that I can’t feel my feet, or that my nose turns an embarrassing shade of red, or that I get an electric shock from everything I touch, or that the zipper on my favourite coat is broken.

The ground looks like it’s made of diamonds. The trees are glass. Breath hangs in suspended animation. Footsteps are forever.

Looks like I might be warming up to Winter. Pun intended.

As the seasons shift I thought it was a perfect time to change up a few things here at Hot Polka Dot. Time to mature. Time to grow up. Time for big bold photos. I’ll miss the polaroids, but change is good.

Maple Cinnamon Oatmeal Cookies

Makes about 2 dozen cookies.

Source: My imagination.

1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup demerara sugar
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 egg
1 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
2 cup rolled oats

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and position a rack in the middle. Line your baking sheets with parchment paper and set them aside.

In a large bowl with an electric mixer cream together the butter and sugar then blend in the maple syrup and egg.

In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt then add it to the butter and sugar mixture and mix it well. Lastly, combine the oats to form a stiff cookie dough.

Scoop a heaping tbsp of dough for each cookie and place them on the prepared cookie sheet. With your fingers carefully compress each raw cookie into a flattened disc. Bake them for about 10 minutes until the edges are light golden brown. Transfer them to a cooling rack and enjoy!

31 thoughts on “Warming Up To Winter.

1. Kim

You have such an incredible way with words and imagery. I’m a bit jealous. I think it’s incredible how you tell a tale of growing up and maturing, even if it is only with photos at the moment. And winter? Winter is stunning no matter how cold and treacherous it can be.

Thanks Kim! This is honestly the first time I’ve ever baked oatmeal cookies so I was super happy with how they turned out spice and all!

2. Kita

Those are beautiful photographs. I really like the pink ribbon touch and the overall pink hue to the pictures – not to mention the cookies sound like they taste delicious!

3. Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels

Gorgeous photos Lindsey! I can’t get over how incredibly beautiful they are. One of my absolute favorite cookies are oatmeal cookies but I never though of adding maple syrup to them. What an incredible idea. I’ll definitely be trying out your recipe soon!

4. kristin

Great photo update! I love the yellow tint to them. Did you change your whole set up? You should get outside today! It’s like a chinook out there!

Thanks lady! I’m shooting in RAW format now so my photos are way more detailed in colour and pixels. Plus I’m using Photoshop and trying to get to know my camera a bit better. We’re becoming fast friends! Crazy weather right? Let’s hit the beach!

Oatmeal sometimes is eh to me but man, you add maple and cinnamon and you totally got me! It’s getting cold also here in California and it makes me happy because I always feel like baking more than usual. Cookies sometimes get neglected in this house (by me, not my husband!) but you just reminded me to make him a good batch of heart-warming cookies this weekend. Thanks!

6. Kim-Liv Life

Like the photos Lindsey! The cookies look awesome. I haven’t done a good oatmeal cookie for a while, they are always my husband’s first request, and I’ve never done one with maple syrup. MMM!!

Your weather sounds mighty cold… brrr…

7. Evan @swEEts

Love the big pictures.. you take such wonderful shots! These cookies have everything I love about the winter.. oatmeal, cinnamon and maple?? delicious! I’d love to try these out soon!

8. Christina

These cookies sound perfect, thank you for sharing the recipe and the story, I’ll definitely have to try them this holiday!

9. Danielle@Runs With Spatulas

I’m loving the photos, especially the last two! I thought the polaroids were cute, but I think this was a great change!

10. Shelbi

So I dont have maple syrup but i REALLY want to make these… I do however have maple flavoring…any suggestions to make up for the moisture the syrup lends?

11. Jennifer

Oh my goodness, I was craving cookies the other night, but didn’t want to go to the store. These cookies were perfect! I had everything to make them in my pantry. Thank you so much for sharing. I have made these cookies several times since then and have been playing around with different variations. They taste great if you replace the butter with all-natural peanut butter (I used Adams) and replace the sugar with more maple syrup. Yummy! If you opt to use natural peanut butter instead of butter consider adding more salt to taste. It makes a big difference. Thanks again for sharing!

12. Chris

I have to let you know that these cookies (or a batch of dough waiting in the frig!) are ALWAYS in my kitchen now. My family thinks I’m nuts but I will have a few of these as part of my breakfast and they keep me from “drooping” all morning long! I have a wonderful gluten-free version that adapted with no difficulty whatsoever! I load the cinnamon a bit more but keep to your recipe quite faithfully otherwise! One more wonderful reason to keep the local maple syrup facility in production!!! I can’t believe how much I love these!