How Do You Like Them Apples?

You might have noticed recently that I enlarged all the photos on my blog. In celebration of this very visual achievement I decided to do a very visual post.

These are the prettiest dang apples I’ve ever laid eyes on and they grew in my very own front yard! They range in size from small apricots to small McIntosh apples. I made Crab Apple Crisp with them and it was the tastiest apple crisp I’ve ever eaten.

If you lack a Crab Apple tree of your own or legal access to one I suggest you don a black mask straight away and shake down your neighbours tree.

Ah hem…

What I meant to say was you can use any sort of apples in place of crab apples.

I’ll shut up now and let you enjoy the pretty pictures.

Crab Apple Crisp

Makes about 6 servings.

Source: Adapted from my family recipe.

8 medium crab apples, peeled and sliced
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 tbsp granulated sugar
1 cup salted butter
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and position a rack in the center. Butter a 8 x 8 inch baking dish and set it aside.

In a medium bowl combine the apple slices and lemon juice then mix in the cinnamon and sugar. Arrange the apples in the bottom of your prepared baking dish until they reach about halfway up the side.

In a small sauce pan on low heat melt the butter. Once it’s melted remove it from the heat and lightly mix in the oats, flour, brown sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon. Lightly and evenly sprinkle the crisp layer over the apples.

Bake it for about 30 minutes or until it’s crispy and bubbly. Allow it to cool for about 5 – 10 minutes then scoop it out onto serving plates and top with whipped cream or ice cream. Enjoy!

PS: Don’t forget about the awesome giveaway! Get your entries in before Tuesday night!

21 thoughts on “How Do You Like Them Apples?

1. The Cilantropist

Love those photos! Apples are really beautiful… and definitely something I miss about living in the midwest, I feel like there were apple trees everywhere.

I’ve never had a fruit tree of my own so I’m definitely going to take advantage of this one. We have another crab apple tree with the tiny cherry sized fruit that I plan on making jam out of.

2. Kristin

Those look like little apples to me! Mom’s are smaller and more oblong. Are yours terribly sour, too? I’ve never thought to do a crisp with them for some odd reason, but that would totally make sense since rhubarb isn’t all that great raw either and I make rhubarb crisp at least once a year : D Are you going to do some crabapple jelly? I made some last year, but I’m definitely not in the mood this year. What else can a person do with sour apples other than jelly and sauce?! I’m at a brick wall!

Surprisingly they taste a lot like McIntosh apples so they’re not all that sour at all. McIntosh are my favourite apples. We have another crab apple tree with apples a lot like tiny cherries and they’re supposed to be good for jelly so I think I might try my hand at that too. I’ve never had an apple tree before so all this is new to me. I’ll have to experiment.

3. Debbie

Apple crisp is by far my favorite type of apple dessert…others in my household tend to differ though! That is awesome that you have an apple tree to pick from!

4. Kristin @ delishliving

ooh what i would give for an apple tree (or any fruit tree!) in my yard!

…maybe i should start with is a yard your crisp looks awsesome, and i like the bigger pictures very much.

5. Cookbook Queen

Love the bigger pictures!! I know it was probably very time consuming and headache inducing, but the results are FAB!!!

Apple crisp is one of my absolute favorite desserts, did you know that? And now I have a craving!! Oh, how I wish we were neighbors…yours looks super yummy.

Thanks lady! I would so totally share some crab apples with you if we were neighbours. Heck, I’d even make you some apple crisp!

6. Kerstin

I really like the larger photos! I’ve actually never tried a crab apple before. There’s nothing better than picking your own apples!

Thanks Kerstin! This is the first time I ever tried a crab apple too. I was expecting them to be sour and hard but they were surprisingly delicious.

7. Karen

Gorgeous photos! They look so good, I almost took a bite out of my screen. Now I have the worst craving for that delicious apple crisp with a scoop (or two!) of vanilla ice cream… Love your blog!

8. Monet

Lindsey, I am so very jealous of your beautiful apples…but I’m so very thankful that you shared them with me! My father has a couple of apple trees in Colorado, and I’m missing our home-grown apples badly. Thank you for sharing! That apple crisp looks too good!

9. Anne's Kitchen

Oh Lindsey I love the new size of your photos! It was really about time you made them bigger – since they’re really, really nice! And these apples are great, it’s such a luxury these days to pick your own fruit, so enjoy it!

xx

10. kateiscooking

Great photos!! We’ve got two crabapple trees with the cherry -sized ones. Last year we made a ton of jelly. It’s been wonderful to have on hand. Kate @kateiscooking