Turn That Frown Upside Down.

There are some things in the world that are better when turned upside down. It’s just a fact.

Frowns for example. You saw that one coming right?

Bats too. When they’re upside down they’re sleeping instead of flying around in your hair giving you rabies.

Our cat Misty. She loves to lay on her back and look at you funny with her little paws all pulled up and cute. When she’s right side up she’s kind of a jerk.

A squeeze bottle of honey. Preferably open while upside down over my greedy mouth.

Cake. That’s pretty obvious right?

It’s peach season. Did you know? Peaches are my favourite fruit. Figures I’d choose a fruit with one of the shortest growing seasons in Canada. I’m sure you can tell I like honey.

I’ll stop insulting your intelligence and just get to the point.

It was only a matter of time until I combined two of my very favourite things. Honey and peach. Together at last. And what a lovely cake they made.

Honey Peach Upside Down Cake

Source: Adapted from my family recipe.

1/4 cup honey
2 peaches, sliced
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup honey
2 eggs

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and position a rack in the center. Butter a 9 inch round cake pan. Cut a round piece of parchment paper to fit inside the bottom of the pan then place it in the pan. Butter the parchment paper as well and then set it aside.

Spread the 1/4 cup of honey over the bottom of the pan then arrange the peach slices on top.

In a small bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. In a large bowl with an electric mixer cream together the butter, sugar and honey then blend in the eggs. Add the dry ingredients and mix it until it’s smooth.

Pour the batter over the peaches and honey then bake it for 30 – 35 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Much like the Honey Lemon Pound Cake, this cake will appear raw and jiggly in the middle while the rest seems like it’s burning. That’s the honey making mischief. Don’t worry, it will bake eventually. Just keep an eye on if for the last few minutes. Leave the cake in it’s pan and let it cool on a cooling rack for about 10 – 15 minutes.

Once the pan is cool enough to touch carefully flip the cake over onto a serving plate by placing the plate upside down over the cake pan then, while gripping both the plate and pan, quickly turn the whole thing right side up. Lightly jiggle the cake out of it’s pan and marvel at the honey peach beauty. Enjoy!

59 thoughts on “Turn That Frown Upside Down.

1. The Blue-Eyed Bakers

Oooh definitely a keeper! Honey & peaches?! With a big dollop of cream perhaps? This cake looks DIVINE.

2. Baking Serendipity

Cute post and delicious cake! The part about bats being asleep upside down and not after you made me smile:)

3. Janna M

Oooh… I was going to make peach muffins this afternoon but maybe I’ll make this instead. I love it. Maybe I’ll make both. I’ve got a lot of peaches to use.

4. Heather I.

What a great variance from pineapple upside down cake, this looks very refreshing! Honey is one of my favorite things, too, and I’m all out! I better head to the store asap, haha Do you think agave nectar would work in place of the honey??

5. The Cilantropist

We are clearly on the same page here. I swear I have eaten more peaches and other stone fruits in the last three weeks than I have for the last 3 years. I dont know what it is, but this year i am CRAVING them!!! Plus, I think I have gone through several jars of honey too. It just pairs so well with these fruits, I cant deny it! Awesome recipe.

6. Evan@swEEts

So simple and so lovely looking! I love using honey in baked goods.. The only upside down cake I’ve made had mangoes.. but peaches sounds great!!

7. Baking Barrister

I personally like my frowns right-side up. But I can get behind this kind of upside down. You can rarely go wrong with such a beautiful upside down cake. And I’m still jealous your desserts are so much prettier than mine.

8. Monet

Your blog is precious! I love this cake…I’ve never made an upside down cake before (a shame, I know!) But with all these lovely peaches in season, I am going to have to change that. Thanks for sharing!

9. Johanna

Great blog! I saw your profile in PFB and can’t stop thinking about that “Angel Icebox” dessert you described. Sounds like something I have to try!

10. Robin

Mmmm, just bought some peaches and need something easy & yummy to do with them. Thanks for sharing your tricks

11. Sue

Saw your pics on DessertStalking. Look delicious! I love upside downs. I also saw those maple Whoopie Pies. I might have to try those.

12. Jim The Novice

The recipe isn’t clear about what to do with the parchment paper. I assume that you butter the pan, butter the parchment paper, put the buttered parchment paper in the pan with the buttered side up, and then continue with the recipe (adding the honey, etc.). Is that right? I think that’s what Robin was suggesting too, but wanted to be sure.

Sorry about the confusion. What I mean is that you butter the pan then insert the round parchment paper into the pan and butter the parchment paper itself. Hope that clears it up.

13. kwanster

that sounds so amazing!!!! except peaches are not in season in australia right now do u think i can use tin peaches???

14. Jim The Novice

Hi; I tried the recipe tonight. The main problem was that it overflowed the pan a lot. I used a standard 9″ cake pan. Any thoughts about that?

Hmm that’s odd. Did it seem like too much batter to begin with or did it overflow during the baking process? I tried out a variation of this recipe the first time I made it and it overflowed on me because I put waaaay too much honey in, but then I changed it to what it is now and it worked great for me. Sorry it didn’t work out for you. I hope it was salvageable.

1. Jim The Novice

The pan was full not quite to the rim. It overflowed about half way through the baking. There was quite a bit of overflow. My wife was wondering if a taller baking pan would be better. I used a standard 1 1/2 inch high pan. But, yes, it was salvageable and very tasty. Have you tried it with less honey, say 1/4 cup in the batter?

Ok my baking pans must be a smidgen higher than yours because it wasn’t even close to being filled to the brim for me. And I thought mine was standard. Weird. The way to avoid that would definitely be halving the honey in the recipe. That’s what I did after my first trial run of the original recipe with 1 cup of honey. I’m glad you were able to eat it at least.

1. Jim The Novice

Thanks Lindsey; Can you measure yours for me? You may also want to include that info in your recipe. I always thought that 1 1/2 inch depth was the standard, but maybe there is no real standard! Learn something new every day!

This is getting even weirder! I just measured mine and it’s also 1 1/2 inches high. I don’t get it. I just reviewed the recipe and it’s definitely the one I used the second time around. The only thing I can think of is if your peaches were thicker slices than mine and taking up more room in the pan leaving less space for the batter.

3. Jim The Novice

Strange. My peaches were medium. No matter how you slice them, you’ll get the same volume of peach (a larger number of small slices, or smaller number of larger slices). Could it be the flour? I think I used general purpose flour. Has anyone else that you know of had this happen? (Your pans are 9″ right; I found all kinds of different sizes on the web).

Yeah mine definitely are 9 inches and I always use all purpose flour. No one else has had this happen to my knowledge. I just don’t get it. It’s a baking mystery.

15. Lauren

Oooo, just made this but with apples, cinnamon and almond slivers because I didn’t have any peaches and it was still simply delicious! The cake tastes amazing, is perfectly sweet and it just looks beautiful.