Silver Lining.

When I discovered that I would not advance in Project Food Blog my mind reeled with a series of thoughts. The first of which I won’t repeat here. But the second thing that came to mind was, well I guess I don’t have to make those Cinnamon Buns anymore.

But really, why wouldn’t I? I bought the pumpkin, pecans and maple syrup. I do still have a food blog right? Oh yeah, that didn’t cease to exist when I got eliminated.

Sure maybe for a moment there I wanted to drown my sorrows in a vat of chocolate or order a fleet of pizzas for dinner. But I didn’t. Instead I made the most delicious Maple Pecan Pumpkin Cinnamon Buns. Let me tell you, it’s hard to feel sorry for yourself with a mouthful of one of these lovelies.

So this would have been my eighth challenge entry to Project Food Blog. I probably would have said something a little more eloquent.

But at least now I don’t have to feel so bad about using canned pumpkin instead of fresh.

A few of my new friends from Project Food Blog decided to share our pumpkin posts despite our recent exclusion from the contest. They’ve concocted some amazing pumpkin recipes. You should visit and remind them that they are all winners.

Asha from Fork Spoon Knife
Heena from Tiffin Tales
Josie from Daydreamer Desserts
Liren from Kitchen Confidante
Winnie from Healthy Green Kitchen

Maple Pecan Pumpkin Cinnamon Buns

Makes 9 large buns.

Source: Adapted from several different recipes.

1/4 cup warm water
2 tsp instant yeast
1/4 cup milk
3/4 cup pumpkin puree (canned or fresh)
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp salt

2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ginger
1/8 tsp cloves
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold
1/2 cup pecans, chopped and toasted

4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 – 2 cup powdered sugar

In a large bowl add the yeast to the warm water and let it soften for about 5 minutes. Next add the milk, pumpkin puree, eggs, butter, 1 1/2 cups flour, brown sugar and salt then mix it all in with the paddle attachment. Gradually add the rest of the flour until you have a dough stiff enough to knead.

Switch to the hook attachment and knead the dough until it forms a smooth elastic ball, about 5 minutes. Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl and turn it to ensure it’s covered in oil. Cover it with a damp tea towel and let it rise until it’s doubled, about 1 – 1 1/2 hours.

In a small bowl combine the filling ingredients. Whisk together the spices and brown sugar then cut in the butter with a pastry blender or two knives.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees a position a rack in the middle. Butter a 9 inch square baking pan then fit the bottom with a piece of parchment paper and butter the paper as well then set it aside.

Once the dough has risen transfer it to a lightly floured surface and roll it out into a rectangle about 21 inches long and 16 inches wide. Sprinkle the filling evenly over the rolled dough then add the chopped pecans. Starting at the long side of the rectangle roll the dough down to the bottom edge. Using a sharp knife divide the log into 9 pieces and set them in the prepared baking pan making sure to evenly space them.

Let the rolls rise for another hour until they’ve doubled again. Bake them for about 10 minutes until they’re golden brown. Let them cool in the pan while you prepare the icing.

In a large bowl with an electric mixer blend together the cream cheese, maple syrup and powdered sugar until you get your desired consistency. It should be thick enough to keep it’s shape but thin enough to drizzle over the rolls.

Individually release the buns from the pan and liberally crisscross the still warm buns with the icing. Enjoy!

32 thoughts on “Silver Lining.

1. Winnie

That’s the stuff is right! Your cinnamon buns rock! I loved all of your entries in the contest and will happily continue to follow your terrific blog Lindsay!

2. Cristina, from Buenos Aires to Paris

Those buns look lovely !!! I would love to try them !!!! Good for you….a contest should not discourage you !!!

Un gran beso,

Cristina

3. Annalise

Wow, these look amazing! Way better than what I’ve been cooking up for the challenge. Thanks for not holding these back from us!

I was so sad to see you out of the competition but I’m really happy to decide to still make this buns. Life goes on and this is a wonderful way to move forward

5. Baking Serendipity

I’m so glad to see you still made these cinnamon buns…they look delicious and like the perfect pick me up!

6. Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite

Sad to see you out of the competition too but glad I discovered your blog through PFB. I’ll keep following contest or not!

7. Liren

Silver lining is right! Lindsey, I’m so glad to have gone through PFB with you and such a talented group of bloggers. It’s been amazing and I have become such a happy follower of yours. I have been searching and searching for a lovely Cinnamon Bun recipe, and I can’t wait to try yours!

8. the constant hunger

I was with you and voting for you all the way, but I like your positive attitude. As for the rolls, how do you make baking look so easy? Amazing photos, as usual.

9. Asha@FSK

Way to go girl!!! these buns look awesome!!! ah! well. PFB’s loss.. still our gain Coz I got to know you through this contest and that’s more important than anything else!! )

10. Sophia

Oh, this dish looks fabulous! I love the picture too! If you’re interested, you should submit it to Recipe4Living’s Tasty Thanksgiving Recipe Contest

Thanks Heather! It was a pretty surprising round what with half the competitors being eliminated. I appreciate your support nonetheless!

11. Amelia from Z Tasty Life

Lindsey: you are as sweet as these buns! Loved getting to know you and look forward to many shared culinary times. Miss ya! Amelia

12. Isabelle

Mmmm… pumpkin cinnamon buns. I have a similar recipe that I’ve made every single fall without fail for the past few years. Mine doesn’t have maple or pecans, though, which sounds like a fabulous combination!

So glad that you went ahead and posted this, despite being out of the competition. Challenge entry or not, this is a recipe worth sharing.

13. Mom

“Each year, the Great Pumpkin rises out of the pumpkin patch that he thinks is the most sincere. He’s gotta pick this one.” – Linus

14. Peas

I don’t know what project food blog is, but I can appreciate is these amazing pumpkin cinnamon buns regardless. If you bake food like this you’ve already won! (I’m trying them this weekend)

15. eataduckimust

I always tell myself I’m going to make cinnamon buns and then I never do. Really glad you made these and really glad to have met you through the competition. It is definitely not the same without you.