Knit One. Purl One. Bake One. Eat One.

Oh hi. Hey you remember me. I’m that mildly funny blogger that bakes cookies and writes letters to both inanimate objects and weirdos.

No? I’m that perfectionist in the kitchen that obsesses over custard and cowers at the sight of yeast. Yeah I basically cry over spilled milk. Literally.

Nothing? I also have an unusually high attraction to all things with polka dots. I own not one, not two, but three polka dot aprons. With ruffles. And bows.

Oh yeah. You remember now.

I apologize for my absence. I have a good excuse though. I really do. Are you ready? Like really ready?

I’ve been busy knitting. No really. I knit. Now you know the awful truth. I am in fact a 50s housewife that vacuums in pearls, darns socks and spends the day in the kitchen with perfectly applied lipstick.

Ok maybe my pearls are fake and I can’t stand lipstick, but I do spend blissfully happy days in the kitchen and I can knit up a storm. Well maybe just a scarf. And not those fancy cable knit scarves. Maybe next year.

To make up for my knitting induced neglect I made you some traditional Dutch Boterkoek. It’s like shortbread only better. You just have to trust me on this one. It’s dense, moist and chock full of almond goodness. You’re going to love it.

Boterkoek (Butter Cake)

Makes 4 – 6 individual desserts.

Source: My family recipe.

1/2 cup salted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 egg

1/2 cup sliced almonds
1 egg white
1 tbsp water

Note: My mom makes this recipe in a 9 inch cake pan. If you’d prefer this size please adjust the baking time to 45 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and position a rack in the center. Set aside your ramekins since there’s no reason to grease them with all the butter in the recipe.

In a large bowl with an electric mixer cream the butters and sugar. Add the almond extract and egg and mix it well. Beat in the flour until it’s well incorporated and it forms a heavy thick dough.

Divide the dough among the ramekins and press it evenly into the forms with your fingers. Sprinkle a generous layer of almonds over each ramekin and press them down lightly. Whisk together the egg white and water then brush it over the almond layer with a pastry brush.

Bake them for about 20 – 30 minutes depending on the size of your ramekins and the depth of your dough. You’ll know they’re done when they rise slightly in the center and the edges turn light golden brown. Let then cool for at least 10 – 15 minutes in the forms. Run a small paring knife along the edges of each Boterkoek to release the seal of the crisp egg white then turn them upside down. They might take a little coaxing with the heel of your hand, but they should come out cleanly. Enjoy!

47 thoughts on “Knit One. Purl One. Bake One. Eat One.

1. Tanya

So you knit and bake too? Cool. Same here. Of course I also have only ever attempted scarves, but I have advanced to a ribbed, 3-colored scarf! Oh yea, love the dish too.

2. hannah

Oh my, these photos look so delicious. And I love Dutch baked goods. These bowls fit so well to their content. I am always having a hard time decorating and placing the baked goods into an appropriate container – and yes, I often want to buy bowls, tins and glasses just for putting them in there – but space is a limit. How do you manage to have so many different items for making your goods shine so nicely – do you have a secret on organizing? And if yes, would you share?

3. fooddreamer

My mother has taught me to knit about 4 times, and every time, I don’t do it for a while and forget. Ah well, I can always ask her to knit things for me! These little cakes look delicious!

4. Belinda @zomppa

That’s a gorgeous cake! Great gifts…knitting is so relaxing…believe it or not, it helps me focus on lectures, conversations, movies….

5. Amanda L.

I just got back into knitting/crocheting after a LONG hiatus away from it. I love it! I especially like knitting while watching TV

6. Amelia from Z Tasty Life

wow… I cannot knit…jealous of that skill (must be so incredibly relaxing)!

But since I know how to bake, i will be making these AH-DO-RA-BLE little cakes soooon!!!

“It’s like shortbread, just better”. I stopped there. I didn’t need to read anything else to be convinced by these these…..what the heck are boterkoek? And do I need to know? No, I really just need to make them, like know! And eat them, like all! If knitting inspires you this much, please go on, make a scarf for each member of your family and come back here afterwards with your creations. How could we forget you at this point?

8. wizzythestick

Dutch Butter cookies are a Christmas must have in my country so I’m totally nodding in agreement with the idea of butter cake…more than nodding…actually checking the fridge for butter NOW!

9. Cristina, from Buenos Aires to Paris

Woww!! I don’t know these treats, but after reading your recipe’s ingredients I guess they must be heavenly..It’s nice to see someboy so young like you enjoys knitting. I used to knit a lot, when I was a teenager..I made some great models !!! believe me!!! When I was 16, I used to get together with two other friends to knit…while listening to music…Oh gosh !!how “stupid” we were ;D

That’s hilarious because I used to do exactly the same thing! I must have gotten into knitting with a good friend of mine in high school when I was 17 or 18. So fun!

10. The Cilantropist

Ok I am totally going to have to try these! They look so beautiful and just perfect for christmas, and I love that you used a family recipe.

11. Laura @ SweetSavoryPlanet

Once you have done cables, you won’t believe that once you thought they were complicated. Really! It is more about counting which like any pattern is a pattern!

12. kristin

That’s a great yarn colour! I don’t knit at all, but I’ve recently gotten fixated on pom pom making! I’ve never had this boater caken (because that’s how I’ve decided to say it), maybe I’ll have to try it out!

13. Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels

Oh my goodness those look so delicious and perfect!!! I’m in love with your photos (and your blog of course!) I wish you could bake for me everyday, everything you make looks delicious.

14. Karen

These look perfect! I love desserts with almond extract. Yum! Congrats on the Top 9.

Your apron obsession is totally understandable! They are just too cute to pass up!

15. Damaris @Kitchen Corners

Of course I remember you. Taking a break is good. I’m glad you’re back though. Look at your photos, they are perfect. I love the bright colors.

16. Jackie

Hi Lindsey, or should I say ME. Are we actually the same person? It would appear so. I too spend my days knitting, baking and cooking. But I wear real pearls and I love my red lipstick. I also aspire to be a 1950s housewife: love it.

Lol you’re hilarious Jackie! It’s a little crazy because I’ve seriously considered baking something that looked like something knitted.

17. Monet

Hi Lindsey. You are so adorable. I wish I could knit. My aunt manages a wonderful knitting store in Houston, and she is always making me the most precious gifts. These treats look delectable too. I love seeing family recipes. Thank you for sharing. I hope you have a lovely afternoon, my friend!

18. Annie

*gasp* I LOVE those ramekins! I have an obsession with baking dishes. And serving platters. And cake stands! Basically anything to display my foods on so they look as pretty as they taste.